3.26.2008

All Politics Are Local

C: We have a lull in the Weirdness that is the Presidential campaign, crazy Preachers, blah blah, race, blah blah sexism, blah blah, War, blah blah, stupor-delegates blah blah...

So here's why the sport of Drunken Politics starts at one's front door. Perhaps I'm lucky or blessed, one of many a community meeting around the area concerning a transit project between Portland, OR and our neighbors across the Columbia River in Vancouver, WA was scheduled for the tavern within spitting distance of Drunken Politics North.

Warm up time. A Knob Creek and a cola back at the cross steet pub. A strange bearded man suggested I have a Greyhound. We have a discussion about breakfast drinks. I stick with the Knob because vodka is breakfast libation. Some Goth kids are playing pool, "Ooo, You Make Me Live" is on the jukebox. Time to cross the street for the event.

Time for a Makers and a cola back. The bartender knows my drink even though this place has only been open for two months. That's class. Politics are interesting here in Stumptown, a quasi-debate in a public room, a tavern, brings in the people. The room was jam-packed with my neighborhood classic yuppie concerned types. I buy two beers for two folks sitting next to me. I guess this was to be an informative community sharing of proposals and ideas for river crossing. Easing congestion, people moving and a metro feel between the Couve and Portand. So the ideas are expounded about a new bridge, expanding/widening existing spans, light rail extention, bike lanes, safety, and a mix and match happy happy everyone mashup. One problem. Washington and the Vancouver don't want tolls, taxes, light rail or bike lanes. They want a fat highway bridge for free. Oregon has different ideas about transportation. What would Tonya Harding do? As opposed to filling out the little blue 'ask your question' cards, I simply blurted out remarks and querys. The Mr. No Taxes Ever Vancouver Dude probably strangled me in his head many many times. Good thing the 'moderator' was smirkingly sympathetic and I know the bar owner and the staff, I may have been tossed for being a heckler. Did get a round of applause once...

I am now convinced it's a bad idea to encourage people to commute to and from Vancouver. Fuck the bridge.

Bonus: A free t-shirt from somebody handing out swag for some Budweiser-sponsored Hollywood flick that premiers next week.

Big Weirdness, it's in your neighborhood too. Who says transportation projects are boring?

No comments: