10.31.2008

Friday Hangover

J: Here we are- one last weekend until the Big One. There are smears and infomercials flying about, and Halloween looms large over the political landscape. Both camps are dressing up as centrists, in a last-ditch effort to gain the few undecided voters that remain.

Fortunately, I'm no longer in the crosshairs of anyone's Get Out the Vote movement. For the first time in my life, I early-voted. I normally like the polls on Election Day- the sense of being part of a group of citizens participating in our civic duty. But having children and no obvious babysitter made the convenience of voting early impossible to ignore. As I was walking out the door, my Little Guy asked me where I was going, so I told him "to vote". Well, there was no way I could be allowed to do that without supervision, so we piled in the Honda and were off to the polls. Once inside, he was fascinated by the process. I showed him the sample ballot, explained to him that straight-ticket voting was for lazy people who didn't do their research, and basically gave him his first lesson in Democracy. I cast my ballot, got my sticker- which promptly went on his shirt- and came home. He enjoyed it so much that when Mrs. J. then went to cast her vote, he absolutely insisted on going back with her. Perhaps it's my Kentucky roots showing, but when a three-year-old insists on heading to the voting booth as many times as possible... well, let's just say I'm proud. Next time around, I think I'll teach him how to buy and sell votes. He and Lyndon Johnson's grandkids can roll around Texas, driving the elderly to the polls.

Speaking of the elderly, I'm really starting to feel bad for John McCain.The more I think about his campaign, the more I truly believe that his entire plan for getting to the White House involved a race against Senator Clinton. If Hillary! had been his opponent, he could have easily chosen Joe Lieberman as his running mate, because whatever issues the base might have with McCain, their hatred of all things Clinton would assure him their support. Instead, his hand was forced, and we get the Palin show. But there will be more time for hindsight once the votes are officially counted.

And I think the person with the biggest axe to grind in the GOP may turn out to be Mike Huckabee. He appeals to the same crowd as Palin, he has far more executive experience, and even most of the Left just likes the guy. If I could have any politician as a neighbor, it would be Mike. He seems like he'd invite you over for a barbecue, and offer you a beer- even though he doesn't drink himself, he keeps a few on hand for guests. He's got to be sitting on a porch in Arkansas and laughing about the absurdity of this race. I expect to see more from him soon, because I believe he's going to end up as the spokesman for the Evangelical wing of the Republican Party.

C: J., I commend you. My father took me to the polls at 6:30AM before he had to go to work when I was a little guy. The metallic sound of the big armature and the curtain whistling behind us, the clack of the levers, is something I will never forget. I got a 'I voted today' sticker. And a cookie. Fine church lady volunteers, indeed. This is a moment that taught me respect for our country, citizenship and the value of one man, one vote. This being an American is serious business and the world is envious of this privilege.

No comments: